With Christmas getting so close, the delivery guys have been spending a lot of time at our house. (Another driver: My eBay addiction. The fact that I can now get all those adorable summer dresses I’ve been stalking all year for a mere pittance is causing me to go a little overboard.) We’ve had to make every-other-day trips to the recycling bin to get rid of all the cardboard boxes that are clogging up our tiny mudroom, and we’re not even close to caught up with the wrapping we need to do for the gifts that have arrived. Viva la online shopping!
Amidst all this, the monthly subscription boxes keep a-coming. Last week, when the December Birchbox came, I kept it intact and brought it to the office to share with a curious colleague. I think she enjoyed the unboxing as much as I did! This is another trick I’ve learned about the subscription boxes – have them delivered to your office, and it’s like a party every time. My friend Lizz sends me pictures of stuff from her monthly Stitchfix since we’re not working in the same place anymore, and it’s one of my favorite things.
But let’s get back to the Birchbox. Here’s what came this month:
- Sumbody Lucky lips cinnamon orange tinted lip balm. This! This is pretty much what I’ve been looking for in a tinted lip product. It smells heavenly, is the perfect color, and feels great on. I’ve never been addicted to a lip product before, but this might be the one.
- Kat Burki Hand Therape lotion. Another winner. I have had a tube of L’Occitane foot cream on the night stand for the last couple of weeks, subbing in for the hand creme I kept forgetting to buy. This one is not greasy at all, and absorbs into my hands in minutes. It also has a lovely light fragrance. I haven’t even made a dent in the sample, but I almost bought a full-sized tube just now while checking my spelling on the product name.
- rahua conditioner. Not sure why I would care that this product is gluten free, but I’m pretty excited about it. My hair has been a constant problem in Minnesota. I used to use Aveda’s Be Curly styling creme and curl enhancer, but it spontaneously stopped working when it got really cold and my hair turned frizzy. I’ve been using a keratin conditioner as a styling product, and it works pretty well, but still isn’t perfect. Hard to tell yet if this will be a keeper, but it’s exactly the kind of sample I was hoping for when I signed up for Birchbox.
- Manna Kadar sheer glo shimmer lotion. This is designed to mix with your existing moisturizer or foundation, to give you a nice dewy glow. I forgot to mix and simply added a smidge on top of my tinted BB cream. Maybe it’s just the lights in my house, but I’m not seeing a whole lot of shimmer. It did leave my skin feeling velvety soft, though, so I’ll probably give it a try on my next fancy-dress occasion.
- Chuao Pop Corn Pop Bar. Unlike the tea I got last month and is still in the brewed beverages drawer (yes there is an entire drawer), this tasty treat lasted about 10 minutes after I opened the box. Chocolate with pop rocks inside! Need to remember this next time Claire needs a little pick me up. That kid loves her Pop Rocks.
Overall, I’m still really happy with Birchbox. I’m trying all sorts of things I would never even know about otherwise – I’m just not plugged into the beauty product world at all – and I’ve found new things to love.
- REVIEW: Birchbox (November) (thebefuddledstepmonster.com)