I ordered three full-sized products from last month’s Birchbox and one from the previous month – StriVectin-AR Advanced Retinol Eye Treatment, Bain de Terre passion flower color preserving shampoo and conditioner, and the Eyeko Black Magic mascara – so I had high expectations for this month. I wouldn’t say I’m disappointed, exactly, but I’m probably not going to be buying anything this time.
- INIKA Certified Organic eyeliner in Green Lagoon. I only wear eyeliner maybe once a month, and I’ve never had much luck with pencils. I far prefer liquid liner, though I’m hardly an expert. Rather than sully this one, I’m putting it straight into the box I keep for household guests. Surely someone will enjoy it!
- Gilchrist & Soames London Collection body lotion. I’ve yet to find a lotion through Birchbox that I liked very much, mostly because of the strong fragrances. This one is okay, I guess. It’s not quite heavy enough for my Minnesota winter skin, but the scent is light and not obnoxious. I’ll stick this one in my travel case, but wouldn’t buy it.
- Air Repair Rescue Balm. Now this I’m interested in. Heaven knows I have a lot of dry skin, and apparently you can use this anywhere. I’ve used it on my dry cuticles and chapped lips, with mixed success. On my cuticles, it worked a lot like Neosporin. Within a couple of days, the skin was much softer. On my lips, it felt a little like Vaseline. Not totally unpleasant, but not my favorite sensation. I think I’ll stick with my random assortment of lip balm, but will keep this around for other dry spots.
- Supergoop! City Sunscreen Serum. What a confusing product. It’s a sunscreen! It’s an anti-aging serum! It’s a makeup primer! I ran out of my Boots No. 7 anti-aging serum right before this Birchbox came, so I thought I would try this for a bit and see how it goes. Since I don’t wear makeup, per se, I’ve been using it under my tinted moisturizer. The moisturizer also has sunscreen, so the two together are a bit…goopy. I like the Supergoop! on its own, though, so I think I’ll take it to Japan and see how it goes on days I don’t need the tint, because I always need sunscreen!
- Mighty Leaf tea pouches. This is my “lifestyle extra,” and the second time I’ve gotten tea in my Birchbox. I’m not opposed to tea, exactly, but the other tea bags are still in a drawer in the kitchen. Maybe I’ll take them to work?
- Ghirardelli Cherry Tango square. Another little extra. Yum!