Oh my god, you guys. It’s JANUARY and I’m posting a JANUARY review. Granted, I’m getting it in just under the wire, but I feel pretty darn good about it.
It was easy to get through Birchbox this month because there were a couple of samples I’d had before and two items that were clearly no-go’s from the first try, leaving only one sample to really put to the test.
- Paula’s Choice Moisture Renewal Oil Booster. Last winter I got the Paula’s Choice C15 Super Booster, and it was a great addition to my regular moisturizer as I fought the harsh, dry Minneapolis winter. Technically this Moisture Renewal booster is a different product, but it works the same way and has the same results. I add a single drop to my moisturizer – which is layered over Philosophy Time in a Bottle anti-aging serum – and applied to the dry spot between my eyes and on my chin/neck. This winter has been far less dry than last year, so I don’t need nearly enough product. It is good for me and bad for Paula’s Choice that the sample will last me all winter, and I won’t need it in the summer.
- Whish body butter. As I recall, I was pretty ambivalent about this product last time. I could take it or leave it this time, for sure, and the sample was ridiculously small. The tube might look reasonably sized, but I got exactly one application out of it. I’ll stick with the Gold Bond moisturizing lotion I got at Target for now.
- Karma Organic Spa soybean oil and tea tree oil nail polish remover. Because I get gel manicures so often I very rarely need nail polish remover, but this product arrived as I was in between gels, and it just so happened that I had some regular ol’ nail polish to take off. (In fact, it was the RUFFIAN nail polish I reviewed last time, which I finally applied and hated. It went on super streaky.) This polish remover is a joke. It might be better for your nails and better for nature, but I had two thin coats of a nude polish – nothing tough like a dark red or something with glitter – and it took forever for the remover to work. I used half the little sample bottle to remove the polish on one hand.
- Manna Lip Locked lip stain. I am sorry to say that I threw the tube away immediately after the first application, so I’m not sure what color it was. (I also can’t find the handy little card to tell me what’s in the box.) All I know is that the color, on me, was a weird frosty pinkish-nudish-something that was horribly unflattering. Just awful. It also felt kind of clumpy on my mouth.
- Curl Keeper Ultimate Hold with Frizz Control. I’ve been using this gel for two weeks and I think it’s a pretty good one for curly hair as long as you’re careful about how much you use. The weird cardboard pouch it came in makes it hard to regulate, and there were definitely days when I accidentally went overboard and my hair was weighed down. On some days, though, it works perfectly. I have a full bottle of Deva Curl, so I’m not in the market for something new, but I would definitely consider this.