In the early days of this blog – like, five months ago – I wrote a lot about my dogs. Mostly about Huck and his newfound psychosis, which was truly worthy of some Allie-Brosh-like storytelling.
As he settles in and gets back to normal, life is pretty much continuing on how it always did in California: dogs wake too early wanting breakfast, dogs express EXTREME JOY at eating breakfast, dogs hang with dog walker, dogs sleep, dogs express EXTREME JOY at our return from work, dogs express EXTREME JOY at eating dinner, dogs sleep. On the weekend, there are walks in the park for both and trips to the dog park for Huck. Sometimes, there are weekday runs. Today they both got a bully stick!
Both of my guys are starting to show their age. Cooper will be eight in June and Huck will be eight in August. For his part, Cooper grunts a lot more when he moves around and is getting a little pudge that no amount of dog walking will erase. Huck can no longer play fetch in the backyard for hours on end and even a short run leaves him panting like crazy. He’s also getting more white whiskers around his face. In so many ways they are still puppy-like, but these signs of their mortality make me super sad.
I will admit that I’ve been freer with snacks and toys than I ever was before, perhaps hoping to give them as much love as possible as they age. For the first time, Huck has a small pile of stuffed toys he gets to carry around the house – and, oh man, you should hear him “roo” with a toy in his mouth! adorable! – and Cooper has lucked into a lot more peanut-butter stuffed Kongs.
Where last month I was starting to accumulate a nice little stash, we’re almost totally caught up to the present BarkBox! Cooper and Huck approve, I’m sure. They were pretty excited about the contents of this month’s box.
- Loopies Specter toy. Huck tried really hard to steal this guy as soon as I opened the box, but I held him back for a rainy day. He’s so cute! I’m not ready to see him destroyed yet.
- Bocce’s Bakery Beef Bourguignon treats. Bocce’s also made the Green Juice treats we got a month or so ago, which everyone ate but didn’t love until I mixed it with little sausages. Joel took the beef treats with him to the office, so only Huck gets to eat them. Poor Cooper.
- Mr. Barksmith’s Carrot Cake Smoothie. We got one of these early on. I didn’t understand the point then, and I still don’t. Does my dog really need a yogurt popsicle? Huck ate the first one at my old office, so I’m going to let Cooper have it one of these days when we’re taking Huck to the dog park and he can’t go.
- Barkworthies beef bladder chew. I’ve started ordering bully sticks in bulk so didn’t really need this chew, but Cooper loves them more than anything. He ate it in five minutes.
- Riley’s Organics Dogs Love Kale treats. Everyone loves kale! Kale is so trendy, even dogs are eating it now. I’m pretty sure my dogs won’t love kale unless I mix it with some sort of meaty treat, but it’ll be good filler!