I was so bummed about my last Birchbox that I wasn’t much looking forward to getting another one.
Upon further reflection, I think it’s less about Birchbox and more about me. They’re still holding up their end of the bargain, sending prettily packaged boxes each month with lots of new things for me to try. And even though I didn’t ask for makeup and they still send me eyeliner, most of the things are exactly what I’m looking for, even if I don’t like them. On my end I’m sort of frustrated that I don’t understand exactly what I need in terms of health and beauty products, and the fact that we skipped right over spring and into summer isn’t helping. Remember how super dry my skin and hair was all winter? Now I’m all oily and frizzy.
So. I was bummed and not excited. And then my May box came! It was sunny yellow and inside were things I felt stoked to try.
- Whish Shave Crave Shaving Cream – Acai Grapefruit. I am linking to the Birchbox page and not the product website, because my Heartbleed Chrome plug-in is telling me the site is vulnerable. Scary! Anyhoozle, I use a Kiss My Face lavender shave cream that I love, but it’s a little hard to find and I was excited to try something new. The fact that I can get Birchbox points for buying it was a total bonus. Sadly, I did not love this. The scent was sort of off-putting, and it wasn’t as creamy as the Kiss My Face kind.
- derma e Hydrating Night Cream with Hyaluronic Acid. I have no idea what hyaluronic acid is and why I would want it, but I love this cream. It goes on smooth and light and smells heavenly. Bonus: the sample is really big! The jury is still out on whether this will be too heavy for my summer skin, but I’m definitely invested in checking out more from this brand.
- Supergoop! Everyday SPF 30 with Cellular Response Technology. You might remember that I got a Supergoop! product a couple of months ago, and that while I enjoyed it, it was too heavy to wear with my usual base serum. I love the concept of this, though. It’s a sunscreen that adjusts its tint to match your skin tone! Super exciting. In reality, the tone comes out a little chalky and too light for me, and it kinda makes me itchy. And even though it’s probably the fault of Minnesota summer, my face has been breaking out since I started using it. That’s two strikes for Supergoop!
- Caldrea body wash and body lotion. Here’s the truth. I used the lotion on my arms two days in a row and got lots of little clogged pores. I’m still using the body wash, which has a very pleasantly light lime scent, but it’s just a body wash. Nothing fancy. Certainly nothing to unseat my Aveeno daily moisturizing wash, which is my favorite standby.
- SmartyPants adult complete gummy vitamins. I am very easily persuaded by cute products and packaging, and these vitamins are just the cutest! They’re also yummy. I’m stocked up on vitamins for the moment, but I would most definitely buy these.